Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cotton Wool Sandwich

It's not dry sprouts. I actually ate a cotton ball.
Last night, I noticed a grittiness in my salad. I thought it was the sand that sometimes gets stuck in spinach, but when I dug the grit out of my teeth, it was glass!

I freaked out, thinking I might have swallowed a bit of ground glass that would tear up my digestive system, as per horror movies. I have a family member who used to be an ER doctor, so I called her and learned that it's pretty rare to actually swallow glass (usually you feel it and don't swallow), but if you do you're supposed to eat bread to protect your stomach, and a cotton ball which will supposedly wrap itself around the sharp foreign body so that it doesn't get lodged anywhere.

So far, I'm not bleeding from the ears as I feared. So far ...

2 comments:

  1. oh no! It sounds like you've got it under control though and will be just fine! But that is serious scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I probably didn't really swallow anything, but very scary at the time. I'm now at the 26 hours point and I haven't had the slightest twinge of pain so I think I'll be alright. And I have a first aid tip for future reference ;)

    ReplyDelete